On Tuesday, December 1, 2015, Amelia Park Arena & Garden, is participating in #GivingTuesday, a global day dedicated to giving.
Last year, more than 27,000 organizations in 68 countries came together to celebrate #GivingTuesday. Since its founding in 2012, #GivingTuesday has inspired giving around the world, resulting in greater donations, volunteer hours, and activities that bring about real change in communities. We invite you to join the movement and to help get out and give this December 1.
Amelia Park Arena is participating for the first time. Please consider donating and sharing what Amelia Park Arena means to you!
The Top 10 reasons to consider Amelia Park Arena for your giving dollars:
- Fifteen years ago, the late Westfield philanthropists Albert & Amelia Ferst, wanted to give Westfield a beautiful community center that would provide positive recreational opportunities for all. Although both of the Fersts have passed on, the all-volunteer board of this non-profit facility have worked hard to continue the Fersts’ mission of bringing the community together.
- The rink is home to Westfield State University Owls (D3, Mens & Womens Club), Westfield Bombers& St. Mary’s Saints (high school), Westfield Jr. Bombers (youth hockey) and 2 sled hockey programs, for adults & juniors with physical disabilities. The sport of hockey has brought to our area 3 Division 3 State Championships and numerous WMASS Hockey Championships courtesy of WHS Bombers and a great sense of pride.
- The rink offers programming for all ages in hockey and figure skating. In the winter and at the mercy of Mother Nature, the outdoor rink is converted to a skating rink where patrons can play and skate under the stars.
- In the summer months, we have an outdoor facility that hosts adult & youth dek hockey, roller hockey & box lacrosse.
- Hockey events may dominate our schedule, but figure skating, parent & tot, birthday parties, and public skates (including one that is geared toward the tween crowd on a Saturday night) all have spots on the schedule.
- The rink does host hockey tournaments throughout the year that allow the community to come together and give back. Martin Luther King weekend Fire & Ice Tournament (youth hockey). In April, the Annual New England Invitational Sled Hockey Tournament (sled hockey). August brings the Kevin J. Major Memorial Hockey Tournament that showcases adult, junior and pro players who are based in the area together for a great cause.
- The Arena does donates blocks of ice several fundraising and appreciation skates, including a recent scholarship fundraiser in memory of Springfield, MA Native GySgt Thomas Sullivan.
- In the summer, Musical Moments FREE concert series showcases local artists in our beautiful garden for all to enjoy.
- The Arena donates meeting space to Westfield Area non-profits.
- Amelia Park Arena makes you feel like you have a place to belong, whether or not you skate.
Join us by contributing on Giving Tuesday, tomorrow, December 1st, as we continue our Capital Fundraising Campaign to say “Thanks A Million, Al”. This campaign will bring our building and machinery to a more energy efficient level and prepare our facility for future generations to enjoy. Projects include: low emissivity ceiling; new HVAC & AC units; dehumidification controls; installing LED inside and out of the facility.
There are many ways to get involved in #GivingTuesday. We encourage you to join the movement and donate to AMELIA PARK ARENA to learn more about how you can make a difference.